Have you heard about the STEP(Smart Traveler Enrollment Program)? The US Departments’ Bureau has created the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program to keep traveler up-to-date about your country of destination, or living abroad. It is a free service and specially designed to keep the US citizens safe. Registering in STEP makes it easier for the local U.S. Embassy to contact you, identify your location and help you in the case of any travel emergency.
The STEP provides crucial information about safety, security and reports from the embassy on safety conditions in their country of destination. It also helps the U.S. Embassy, friends and family touch enrolled in emergency situations, such as natural disasters, civil strife or family emergencies.
What is STEP(Smart Traveler Enrollment Program)?
The STEP (Smart Traveler Enrollment Program) is a service that enables travelers to register their trip to the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate. The Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) is a free service provided by the government of the United States to U.S. citizens and nationals traveling outside the country.
By registering your trip before you depart, it would be easier for the U.S. Embassy to contact you and your loved ones during a travel emergency. You can easily sign up for your next ride by staying at home.
Benefits of STEP(Smart Traveler Enrollment Program)
- Enrolling into Smart Traveler Enrollment Program will help you receive crucial information from the Embassy about safety conditions in your country of destination and help you keep informed choices about your travel plans
- STEP works best at the time of crisis. If you are entering a country with travel warnings, whether from crime patterns, political protests or weather events, STEP will include travel alerts and emergency assistance to help keep you safe
- If you are living in the country for a longer duration, STEP can provide the American expat with messages about local U.S. Embassy activities and facilities such as voting statistics, town hall meetings and legal responsibilities for U.S. people living abroad
- If you are traveling somewhere with insufficient coverage. Disconnecting with your loved ones can make you feel nervous, particularly if you are going overseas. STEP will provide you with reassurance and trust, as it will allow your loved ones to reach you in the event of a travel emergency
- If you’re attending a global gathering then you’re increasing chances of entering into a targeted location. If an emergency has arisen, it might be difficult to locate your position or to reach you. Be smart, and enrol with STEP to take an extra step before you leave
- Passport security is always on the priority of every traveler but unforeseen things still happen despite your best efforts. Your passport and identification information will be stored securely with your account in case your passport is lost, stolen or destroyed during traveling. Make it easier for the American Embassies to serve you better in such a kind of emergency
- When you enrol with the Smart Traveler Enrollment account, you enter your trip details and get reports about the current social climate and security threats before you leave your home. You will receive updated fact sheets and emergency messages for the countries you visit sent to your e-mail address when you are traveling. You should make the right travel choices on the basis of the facts
How to Enroll in STEP?
Register your trip into STEP and put your first step towards safety staying at home. Firstly create an account on STEP by putting username and password so that you can access your travel data at any time. For registering into STEP, you will need to provide your personal information so that you can even access it for your future travel plans. The personal information contains the basic information about yourself, along with the emergency contact that is not traveling with you. After creating your account you can easily add your trips or can register with a specific US Embassy or Consulate. Once you add your trip successfully you will get a confirmation email to ensure that you are registered correctly.